Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Family Connections and Crossing the Generational Lines


With the holidays coming quickly, many of us will be spending a great deal of time with family. This time of year has made me reflect on my own experience with extended family, particularly great-grandmothers. My daughter, Nini, has the opportunity to live within fifteen miles of her three living great-grandmas. Due to this close proximity, Nini has a good relationship with all three of these great-grandmothers. Generally, we get to see each of them about once a month.


I enjoy watching my daughter's interactions with her great-grandmothers. Despite the years of age difference and the four-generation gap, these great-grandmas adore Nini. She in turn, loves to spend time with them. Recently, she has spent even more time with her great-grandmas. Nini has been able to visit with each of these women in their homes within the last week. When I tell my two-year-old daughter we are going to visit one of her great-grandmas, she will exclaim, "Granny!" or "Grandma!" She starts bouncing with excitement. Nini has a special connection to her great-grandmothers and she's very social with them. She loves to get out the toys they keep for the grand kids. Nini will take toys and books to her great-grandmas for them to read to her and play with her. These great-grandmas dote on her.


I think Nini's ability to spend so much time with her great-grandmothers is a blessing. She gets to cross the age and generational divide and connect with these wonderful ladies. Nini's three great-grandmothers also get the opportunity to get to know their posterity in a real and authentic way. I benefit, as well. I get to watch my daughter and her great-grandmothers enjoy one another, which is very special to see. Also, I have the chance to visit and get to know these women. Some day, these great-grandmothers will no longer be with us on this earth, and there's a chance Nini will not remember them. My responsibility as her mother will be to share the stories and pictures with Nini of her connection to her great-grandmas. That way, her great-grandmothers will continue to live on in her heart.


I think it's important for all of us to make familial connections across the generational lines. It's especially significant for our kids to be familiar with extended family and older generations. If you and your children have the opportunity to visit with grandparents and great-grandparents, I encourage you to do so. Call, visit, keep in touch. If these people have passed on, share stories and insights with your kids. Our children, as well as ourselves, can learn a lot from older generations. You could even go back farther and research your genealogy and ancestors. I believe these family ties are important. Knowing and connecting with older generations helps us know ourselves better. It also helps us to see into our future through our children.

How do you and your children connect with grandparents and great-grandparents? Let me know in the comments.

4 comments:

  1. So well said! Family is so important and that is so amazing that your daughter has such a close relationship with your her great grandmothers. Those relationships are gold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having our kids introduced to family relations is a fact I adore and love. Kids learn so much from their grandparents and their love is something kids should never miss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Family connections are so very important to who we are and how we see the world... I am blessed that my children have strong relationships with extended family such as grandparents and 2 great grandparents:) Shell

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter is very close to her great grandparents, I am so thankful for this

    ReplyDelete